today’s the release of Downie 2.9 it is evident that release of Downie 3 is getting closer! There are still at least 9 updates coming for Downie 2.x 6 updates coming for Downie 2.x, but I thought I’d provide some information about the upgrade.
Firstly, it will be an enourmous update. The main focus will go to the UI and usability, with many great new features (see below for a list
that will get updated during development). But many of you are surely wondering about pricing. The price will remain $19.99 with these upgrade paths:
- anyone who purchased Downie on or after
May 1, 2017Mar 1, 2017 gets a free upgrade
- anyone who purchased Downie in 2017 gets 75% off
- anyone else with a valid Downie 1.x or 2.x license gets 50% off
The discount coupons will be sent out at the day of the launch to all Downie 2.x users. Alternatively, you may consider signing up with Setapp (Available on Setapp) – a subscription service for macOS that gives you access to
60 70+ great apps (and this number is growin) for $9.99 a month – with this service, all future updates are free.
So what will be new in Downie 3?
The list is not complete as I’m still considering some features – this list will be edited during the next few months. Here are some major new features and improvements. Refer to the release notes for a full list (http://trial.charliemonroe.net/downie/rnotes_3.html).
- UI Redesign – the UI has been redesigned from the ground up. It’s faster, more fluent and visually pleasing.
- Menu Bar Icon – control the downloads from the menu bar – without the need to switch away from your current work.
- Improved HLS Support – HLS streams download up to 4 times faster!
- DASH Stream Support – DASH streams are now supported!
- Simple Mode – if your preference is to keep the UI as simple as possible, there’s a simple mode for you!
- Browser Extension Options [TBD] – browser extensions now allow to send the current link and set postprocessing.
- Automatic Queue Sorting – have your queue automatically sorted by progress or name.
- File Grouping by Site and Playlist – all downloads can now be sorted into folders based on where you downloaded them from or from which playlist are they.
- Delayed Queue Start – schedule your downloads for the middle of the night so that you’re not hogging the bandwidth for the rest of the family!
- Popup Window Support in User-Guided Extraction – the User-Guided Extraction now optionally supports popup windows so that you can sign into sites that open login in a separate window.
- Major Postprocessing Improvements – postprocessing of some downloads can take only a few seconds instead of minutes thanks to Downie analyzing the video prior to the conversion!
- … and many other improvements.
When will be Downie 3 released?
My personal estimate is along with Apple’s new macOS in autumn. Downie 3 will be officially released on September 18, 2017. If you are interested in testing Downie 3, please see this post: Downie 3 Beta Testing
Will there be any beta testing?
Yes, definitely. At least a month before the release, a beta will be available both here and on our Facebook page. See Downie 3 Beta Testing